This position is responsible for executing packaging initiatives across the organization. The position has three main objectives:
- Support new product & packaging development and the commissioning of new packaging lines.
- Work closely with procurement support cost savings and cost avoidance initiatives.
- Be the ‘go-to’ resource on packaging related challenges in the plants. Work directly with operations to solve packaging related issues.
The role works closely with external suppliers, operations, engineering, marketing and procurement to ensure packaging objectives are met. The position provides packaging project leadership on the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Executes moderate to complex technical assignments including cost savings, quality improvements, operation support and new product development
- Responsible for identifying, defining and solving technical packaging challenges. Work ‘hands on’ with operations address issues.
- Develop external industry network through work with suppliers, interactions and participation with technical organizations.
- Work closely with equipment vendors to ensure packaging machinability
- Work closely with and Product Development to ensure that key product requirements are identified and delivered
- Identify, conduct and analyze package performance testing on materials and components
- Perform package stability testing where appropriate
- Initiate distribution testing where applicable
- Perform field inspections to evaluate storage and transportation damage
- Work with external package testing labs as appropriate.
- Stays up to date on packaging trends and new technology.
- Must handle multiple projects.
- Demonstrated problem solving mastery within own technical field. Ability to be persuasive, assertive while also being collaborative.
- Solid understanding and experience with paperboard, corrugate, film, and plastic packaging materials.
- Can execute multiple tasks at once and is learning how to leverage others to accomplish a goal.
- Anticipates needs and avoids last minute chaos. Understands business priorities and can prioritize own time within and across projects.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with R&D groups, external resources, suppliers and consultants to achieve project objectives
- Strong Follow Up Skills
- Attention to detail
- Leadership skills
- Strong Communication Skills
- Works well Under Pressure
- The ability to work with all levels of management.
- Must be self-motivated, discovering solutions, deliver results effectively.
Education and/or Experience
- BS/MS in Package Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 5-15 years of experience in Packaging Development